Tuesday, May 31, 2005

dust

Well I am back in Delhi now. Me, my brother-in-law (Bhutty), niece (Sonali), and another kid from Affour took the Licchvi Express from Chappra. The journey was about 20 hours, but I was lucky to have been able to reserve a ticket. The rest of my party snuck into the Sleeper class bogey and paid fines.

The stay in Affour was quite enjoyable. The best way to describe it is as an extended camping trip with 15 relatives. Typical routine: wake up at 5am, sit in the back courtyard with everyone and take turns to use the toilet. Have tea around 6 or 7am (after the buffalo or cow is milked), then start making "breakfast". I hesitate to call it breakfast because it takes so long to prepare and no one really eats until 11am. While some cook, others sweep and mop. In the afternoon, everyone takes turns taking a bath, and then around 3-5pm we nap or sit and fan ourselves. Wehen the sun starts to go down, we begin cooking dinner, have tea, and go sit on the roof. Many evenings I helped my nephew with his kindegarten studies. It's fascinating to see him learn in English because he is already bilingual (as are most Indians). After eating around 11pm, we go to sleep on the roof. Some of the nights were very cool, and the sky always clear and full of stars. Just like camping, right? We also entertained ourselves by deep-frying and hosting impromptu musical events.

Now back in Delhi I feel like my vacation is over. Delhi is DUSTY. Everyday we wash and wipe and the next morning EVERYTHING is covered with a fresh layer of dust. Well, it is not really dust, but more like a fine dirt (think baseball field). The monsoon should help with this (But then I suppose there will be mud and mosquitoes everywhere). Natalie (brother-in-law's wife) is redoing the flat-- kitchen shelves, dining area, etc.

I got a mobile and feel quite liberated and cosmospolitan despite the fact the only person I really call at this point is my brother-in-law Santosh. This will probably change when I start my internship. If you would like to call me, dial 011-91 for India and then my number 986891-4287.

Did I mention we have cable? They show really good American and Hindi films. One of my favorite channels is the History channel in Hindi which caters to Indian-related events as well as western (we saw features of the Nehru-Gandhi dynasty and Max Factor in the same day!).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home