Wednesday, November 02, 2005

dark and then light

wow, the past few days have been quite festive.

Saturday afternoon my 2nd cousin (?) got married at a gorgeous house about an hour into the country. Guddu got tipsy off of one screwdriver, and we danced until the band had to quit. I am still quite sore.

Sunday we went to an informal BBQ in charlottesville. I guess you could say it was an Indian BBQ. This one Indian guy there ate 2 large chicken legs and AT LEAST 3 BIG SAUSAGES. i was kind of amazed to see an Indian eating pork, especially that much. After grilling and eating dinner we retreated to Holly and Deepak's apt for chai and conversation before returning home. I miss charlottesville a lot.

And then Halloween came and went. We carved a pumpkin. I was quite proud of it until I saw how all the other neighbors each had 3 or 4 very elaborately carved jack-o-lanterns (they must've all cheated and used kits). The best costume I saw: Napolean Dynamite. This kid was so happy that I instantly recognized who he was dressed as.

So then Diwali happened. I wanted to make this holiday special-- I drew rangoli designs in chalk on our walkway, lit tea lights for diyas, made mushroom and onion pakoras and aloo dum, bought laddoos and did puja, cleaned the house, etc. This would have been so much more fun if there had been a lot of family present-- it was kind of like celebrating Christmas in isolation. but it was better than not celebrating at all. hopefully, the goddess of wealth laxmi-ji, will visit our home this year.

so i was gonna make puris (deep fried bread) last night, but some bugs decided to take residence in the aata (flour). We have a lot of bugs in our rice, but I usually just wash them out. it is good i didn't make puris because after the pakoras and aloo dum, we did not need any more super-heavy food.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home