Saturday, August 20, 2005

I'm back

I got into Dulles Thursday night. The flight (Delhi-Munich-DC) was intolerably long on an old Airbus that did not have the individual screens on the seatbacks. The Delhi-Munich leg had a few extra perks-- free Asian business mags and European chocolate.

While I was gone, Guddu apparently lived off of Edy's cookies n cream and chicken and stopped exercising. He gained a bit of weight, transforming from super-gaunt to plain gaunt and now looks like he is not starving.

My last week in Delhi was quite hectic. I forgot to mention I learned how to drive the scooter. I learned on Santosh's old, heavy Bajaj with the Bihar license plates and stubborn first gear. I'll post pics next week.

Packing to come home was a near disaster. Of course I did not pack in advance, so I planned to start around 11pm the night before (I had to leave at 5am). When we got back from the market at 10pm, there was very low voltage. Powercuts had persisted the entire day and our inverter failed to charge. SO when the lights went out again at night, we had no back-up power supply. Not knowing when the light would return, and the lack of candles or an emergency light, made the situation tense bc i had about 3 hours of packing. At 1am the light came on and I was able to finish and get about an hours worth of sleep.

Oh- I also forgot to previously mention the trauma surrounding my nose. All is well now, but there was a bleak 72 hour period. On Sunday 14 Aug, Santosh and I went to Laxmi Nagar to get the ring changed. The piercer-man cut off the old ring, and before insterting a new one, everyone decided it would be best if I let my nose heal by inserting a neem stick into the hole and keeping that in for a few days. Neem is a tree, and has multipurpose healing and household uses (like baking soda).

So Santosh and I got home and by that time the hole had closed up. He went out to cut a neem stick, but it broke when I tried to insert it in my nose. Desperate and frustrated, I called Ingrid to see what she had to say. I felt better after talking to her, and iced up my nose. Santosh thought it would be easiest to straighten out the ring and insert it that way. True, but then we were not able to bend it closed. So he used many different household objects-- kitchen tongs, a spoon, moustache-trimming scissors-- to bend it back into ring form. Semi-successful.

I was very angry during all of this because it was too late to go back to the jeweller that evening and the next day the market would be closed for Independence Day. So I had to wait until the 3rd day to get a new ring put in. Luckily, there was much less blood, sweat, and tears involved.

Tomorrow let's hope the weather is sunny and Guddu and I can go to the beach for the day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home