Monday, February 13, 2006

Dining Experiences of Late

I think I have two regular favorite places in Richmond.

For lunch or dinner or just a cafe con leche, Kuba Kuba is the place. I love the avocado salad there, and sharing some tostones and hot sauce. I went there for lunch with my old carpool-mate a week or two ago. But, I have to say that this is where Lucy and I would often go during the college and post-college days when we were both in Richmond and both working at our Aunts' small businesses (we had all the inside info on which haute diner was buying arugula and who was ordering super-expensive wedding invitations).

Friday night I went to another treasure of Richmond's: Emilio's on Broad Street. This place usually has someone playing latin or jazz, and they have an extensive martini list and tapas. Very laid back, not too pretentious, but with character-- like c'ville but more mature.

Today I had lunch at the Blue Talon in williamsburg. This is a wanna-be-expensive-french-bistro. Caroline and I both do not eat bacon, but she wanted a salad with "lardons." I suspected this might be a fancy word for bacon bits, but the waiter told her they were "like mild spring onions with a garlic taste"-- did he mean shallots??? anyways, I asked if the eggs meurette had pork or beef, and he said "the stock might, but there are not chuncks of meat in the broth-- it is like a soup!." so i said i would take it... our plates came with out itsy-bitsy frenchie portions. caroline's salad was indeed sans any type of garlic-onion-shallot ingredient but well stocked with bacon. as soon as I broke the yoke of my poached egg, the waiter came bumbling up to the table-- "actually, there IS bacon in the stock!" so i reordered the "goat cheese cake," which he assured me was like a salad and not a dessert... the goat cheese cake was tasty, and i am sure it was a million grams of fat. the poor waiter apoligized endlessly and offered us free coffee (we should have pushed for dessert!), and insisted we not tip him. but i did, i felt so sorry for him. he is lucky we were not some old retirees who would give him attitude about his ineptitude. blue talon-- thumbs down unless someone else is treating you. a much better french bistro is river bistro in shockoe bottom-- with a french canadien maitre d' and food with a morrocan twist!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home