Thursday, June 08, 2006

photo project

i feel very lucky to be part of the generation that grew up using conventional cameras and typewriters. in anticipation of the move to somewhere-in-middle-america and the eventual sale of my mother's house, my mom and i have been cleaning out the attic. i've been playing two straight weeks of "keep or toss." gone are fuzzy pictures, incriminating photos, dirty stuffed animals (i'll miss you, st. bernard and pound puppies!), trophies, and school notebooks. i threw out over 1,000 photos today and thought, people won't need to do this in the future bc evertyhing will be on the computer-- even all of my class notes from this last year of grad school are on the computer.

i've also created a pile of stuff that I do not want to keep, but others will enjoy-- pictures and notes passed during highschool. i figure it will be good to get together with those high school friends and pass on those memories before the move.

my dad said this week to guddu that "kate's mom really knows how to take care of things." Guddu was amazed that we still have 20+-year-old baby dresses, halloween costumes, ultrasound pics, and hospital bracelets saved. my mother had packed most of the items from my childhood in one box. i had forgotten about most of the items-- but all the memories came back when we went through the old clothes and toys. my childhood in a box.

i'm keeping some good photos, creatively placing them in acid-free albums so in 40 years my grandkids can ooh and awe. i'm also keeping a few choice stuffed animals and trophies-- again, my adolescence will be reduced to one box.

decluttering is very emotional. there are some bad memories that also arise. and it is hard to toss old possessions for fear of losing the good memories. but decluttering allows you to make new space to operate and create new memories.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home